Wednesday, 15 May 2013

The Final Frontier

I've just come back from watching Star Trek, Into Darkness.  Some of it was set in the twenty two thirties or some time around then.  What I'm most disappointed in, and it affected my whole watching of the movie was the number of women on their board.

When Benedict Cumberbatch's character blows up an archive building and the Enterprise Board comes together to discuss it - there is only ONE women at the table.  Or at least that's all I could see.

We need to inspire in our creative and futuristic creations the world we want to live in.  I really hope there are at least fifty percent of women on the fictional Enterprise board by then.  Please Mr JJ Abrams and you're fabulous creative team please consider the future as we intend to create it - with 50% women in business and on boards.

It's scary that this was overlooked.  Did JJ Abrams  not even consider it or was it overruled and not considered important?  Not one of the extra people on the board talked - only the three main characters  - so it wasn't like it had to do with important characters and plot.

I am glad the women who were part of the cast were strong, clever women so there are plus points.  It's also great that these women were top level scientists, technicians and linguists but we have to challenge our creatives to create the future we as a society want to see it.

Having said that I watched and loved the film in 3D, great plot, great action, great twists.  I'd highly recommend it.  I was transfixed and time flew by.  So please think of the women in the future.  This will truly represent our world as it will be.

I did appreciate the gender neutral phrase at the end of the film - "To go where no person has gone before" but women will have a strong presence in the future and our mission is to be on the bridge and possibly take up the captains chair - even when he visits the Klingons.

No comments:

Post a Comment